This article is dedicated to one of the most important players in the world of e-commerce – Magento.
We would like to discuss the ways you can improve your store for search engines to get more leads and traffic. We will talk about the common Magento SEO mistakes and the way to avoid them as far as about speed optimization and the tips to use to make the load of your store faster.
Should you upgrade your Magento store?
Magento regularly releases updates to its versions to raise the usability of your website and to help your customers get the most from their shopping experience. Nowadays, at the era of high speeds your consumer wants you to be fast. According to recent studies, 30% of visitors of your website will wait for a maximum of 10 seconds before the full load of the page.
19% of visitors leave in 4 seconds
Besides that, your site speed is one of the elements Google track for the website rankings evaluation, making it one of the important SEO tools.
Moreover, you can save money investing in optimization of your website. The less time it takes to load your website, the more visitors you can serve, using less number of servers.
So, a definite answer here would be “Yes!”, you should upgrade!
How should I upgrade?
First of all, you should understand how different parts of your website influence the loading time of the store in general. The website consists of the front-end (JS, HTML, CSS etc.), back-end (Magento database, server operating system etc. and the network (to send information to browsers).
The front-end is a part your consumers see, or simply the way your website looks like. To optimize this part of your website you should make changes into code (personally or with the help of developer). Below are some tips on how to do that:
- Allow your consumers to see the page before the completion of the website load. It means, your visitors will see the text, for instance, before the pictures will be fully loaded. To make this improvement you should compress:
– style sheets;
- Put the CSS involved in webpage appearance at the top, and the JS that is not that important for the first impression – put at the bottom..
- Configure unnecessary scripts loading after the completed load of more important elements (i.e. social networks’ icons can “wait” a bit). Synchronizing those loads will slow down the general load speed.
- Compile all the social media icons into a single file (spriting).
- Think about the size of your media content (width and height). Too large images take more time to be loaded and you consumer will have to wait before being able to see the content below.
- Use the redirects wisely. While redirects can be a perfect marketing tool, they are, by default, non-cacheable, which means they will require additional load time.
- Remove the old code. All those JS and CSS parts of code, that are not in use any more will slow down your webpage.
Back-end is all about the inner part of your website – databases, operation systems and Magento configurations). It takes a lot of resources and, if using in improper manner, can slow down your website really much. Below are some advices on how to fasten your online store.
- To speed up the process of loading a huge amount of similar files for each page request, use temporary file storage facilities (i.e. TMPFS or IGFS). Set-up the Magento hosting and server to get the maximum from it, using all the memory you can be provided with.
- Compress your content. Your task is to use the least possible amount of memory, preferably on an external static system (i.e. stule sheets).
- Minimize the number of external scripts to be loaded. Each script requires an additional DNS request from browser, which means it will take the browser longer to understand your IP address.
- Specify the «last-modified» and «if-modified-since» headers. These will allow browsers to upload the webpage from cache if no modifications has been made since the last visit.
- Use regional servers for each region you successfully work with. The closer location to the factial customers will also speed up your website.
- Enable SPDY. Recent studies show that you will speed up your website for up to 64%.
- Keep your server updated to maintain performance and security. To deal with all the innovations and configurations, to manage the server and hosting and to save resources use the help of the professional company (e.g. FinestShops).
Instead of a conclusion
You should invest in your hosting and the e-commerce system. Giving some tasks for outsource will save your precious time and money and your website will always be updated. Think about having a dedicated, fully managed server to improve the user experience of your website and get more traffic and leads.
Did you find this article useful?